On December 17, 2010 BRPT was notified that the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) has decided to develop a certification exam for sleep technologists to be administered through the American Board of Sleep Medicine (ABSM). Notification was received in a letter from the ABSM.
That letter, the BRPT response, and subsequent correspondence and other documents relating to the development of the ABSM exam, including communications to BRPT's credential holders, are presented below in chronological order. Relevant documents will be added on a regular basis.
Click the links below to read individual documents and BRPT President Janice East's blog. All links are presented in chronological order.
- The letter to BRPT President Janice East, RPSGT, R. EEG T. from Dr. Nathaniel Watson, MD, President of the ABSM announcing the AASM Board decision
- The BRPT response to Dr. Watson
- An open letter to BRPT credential holders from BRPT President Janice East, distributed electronically on January 19, 2011
- ABSM's Response to BRPT
- Stronger Than Ever: Blog Post from Janice East, January 24, 2011
- AAST Comment Regarding Sleep Technologist Exams
- AASM Announcement of the ABSM Exam
- An open letter to BRPT credential holders from BRPT President Janice East, distributed electronically on January 28, 2011
- BRPT's response to the ABSM press release (response date 09/29/2011)
BRPT credential holders are encouraged to comment on the development of a new certification exam for sleep technologists through the ABSM using the link below:
BRPT Message Board