The following references can help with preparation for the CCSH exam. The list is not all inclusive and inclusion does not constitute endorsement by BRPT or any officers or representatives of BRPT.
To prepare for the CCSH examination, candidates should consider using a sampling of text books, clinical guidelines, practice parameters, and key articles relating to the major exam domains. In general, educational materials should focus on evaluation and management of sleep disorders; pathophysiology, epidemiology, and clinical presentation; patient education and communication; sleep health and hygiene; normal sleep over the lifespan; and public health issues relating to sleep. Candidates should review the exam blueprint for guidance on knowledge areas and specific topics covered on the exam. They should be prepared to apply their knowledge to clinical situations to demonstrate critical thinking skills.
Examples of exam prep resources are provided below. Candidates should choose references based on their experience and educational needs. Study materials should be current and the most recent versions or editions.
Clinical Guidelines and Practice Parameters:
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) Standards and Guidelines for the Practice of Sleep Medicine
Evaluation, Management, Pathophysiology, Epidemiology, and Clinical Presentation:
- A Clinical Guide to Pediatric Sleep: Diagnosis and Management of Sleep Problems. J. Mindell and J. Owens.
- Fundamentals of Sleep Medicine
- International Classification of Sleep Disorders
- Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine: M. Kryger, T. Roth, W. Dement
- Sleep Disorders and Sleep Promotion in Nursing Practice: N. Redeker, G. McEnany
- Sleep Disorders Medicine, Basic Science, Technical Considerations and Clinical Aspects
- Evaluation, Management, Pathophysiology, Epidemiology and Clinical Presentation: J. Mindell, J. Owens
- Sleep Medicine Textbook 2014: C. Bassetti, Z. Dogas, P. Peigneux
Patient Communication, Education, and Health Behaviors:
- Essentials of Patient Education: S. Bastable
- Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research and Practice: K. Glanz, B. Rimer, K. Viswanath
- Health Professionals as Educators: Principles of Teaching and Learning: S. Bastable, P. Gramet, K. Jacos, D. Sopczyk
Polysomnography and Related Procedures:
- Fundamentals of Sleep Technology: Mattice, Brooks, Lee-Chiong (Second Edition)
- Polysomnography for the Sleep Technologist: Instrumentation, Monitoring, and Related Procedures: B. Marshall, B. Robertson, M. Carno
Public Health Issues and Discussions:
- Sleep Disorders and Sleep Deprivation: An Unmet Public Health Problem: Institute of Medicine
- Sleep and Sleep Disorders: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Sleep in America Polls: National Sleep Foundation
Scenario-Based Case Reviews:
- Sleep Medicine Review: A Problem-Oriented Approach: M. Kryger, R. Rosenberg, V. Pegram, L. Martin
- Sleep Medicine Pearls: Berry, Wagner