RPSGT Examination Primary References
The following texts are provided by BRPT™ as suggested primary reference materials to assist applicants for the Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT™) credential in preparation for the RPSGT™ Examination.
The BRPT™ presents this list in the sincere hope that it will serve to enhance the knowledge and skill level of those desiring to demonstrate professional competence in the field of sleep technology. We encourage you to use these references as just one “tool” in your journey towards achieving the RPSGT™ designation.
This list is not intended to be inclusive of all potentially useful resources nor does inclusion on this list constitute an endorsement by the BRPT™ or any officers or representatives of the BRPT™. The BRPT™ does not endorse any particular book as being completely accurate and we recommend that applicants utilize multiple resources in the process of preparation for the exam.
Links to purchase these materials directly from this page are provided for your convenience, but you are in no way required to obtain the references from this site.
Good luck in your preparation!
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine (2012). The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events, Rules Terminology and Technical Specifications, Version 2.4 (both adult and pediatric guidelines).
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. International Classification of Sleep Disorders: Diagnostic and Coding Manual
The current professional standards and guidelines are available at no charge at http://www.aasmnet.org/:
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) Practice Parameters and Clinical Guidelines.
- AASM Clinical Guideline for the Manual Titration of Positive Airway Pressure in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- AASM Practice Parameters for the Indications for Polysomnography and Related Procedures
- AASM Practice Parameters for Clinical Use of the Multiple Sleep Latency Test and the Maintenance of Wakefulness Test
- AASM Clinical Guidelines for the Use of Unattended Portable Monitors in the Diagnosis of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Adult Patients
- AASM Obstructive Sleep Apnea Devices for Out-Of-Center (OOC) Testing: Technology Evaluation
Numerous sleep technology and medicine text books are available for candidates such as:
- Fundamentals of Sleep Medicine, R. Berry
- Fundamentals of Sleep Technology, 2nd Edition. T. Lee-Chiong
- Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 5th Edition. Kryger, Roth, and Dement
- Sleep Disorders Medicine, 3rd Edition. S. Chokroverty
- EEG Primer: Basic Principles of Digital and Analog EEG, 3rd Edition. Fisch and Spehlmann
- Polysomnography for the Sleep Technologist: Instrumentation, Monitoring, and Related Procedures by Robertson, Marshall, & Carno
Sleep and Sleep-Related Organizations
Most professional associations have educational areas on their websites.