RPSGT Examination Primary References
The following texts are provided by BRPT™ as suggested primary reference materials to assist applicants for the Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT™) credential in preparation for the RPSGT™ Examination.
The BRPT™ presents this list in the sincere hope that it will serve to enhance the knowledge and skill level of those desiring to demonstrate professional competence in the field of sleep technology. We encourage you to use these references as just one “tool” in your journey towards achieving the RPSGT™ designation.
This list is not intended to be inclusive of all potentially useful resources nor does inclusion on this list constitute an endorsement by the BRPT™ or any officers or representatives of the BRPT™. The BRPT™ does not endorse any particular book as being completely accurate and we recommend that applicants utilize multiple resources in the process of preparation for the exam.
Links to purchase these materials directly from this page are provided for your convenience, but you are in no way required to obtain the references from this site.
Good luck in your preparation!
- The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events, Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications (both adult and pediatric guidelines)
- International Classification of Sleep Disorders; Diagnostic and Coding Manual, 3rd edition
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) Practice Parameters and Clinical Guidelines.The current professional standards and guidelines are available at no charge at www.aasmnet.org including:
- Practice Parameters for the Use of Continuous and Bilevel Positive Airway -Pressure Devices to Treat Adult Patients with Sleep Related Breathing Disorders
- Practice Parameters for Oral Appliance Therapy
- Practice Parameters for the Indication of Polysomnography and Related Procedures
- Practice Parameters for the Respiratory Indications for Polysomnography in Children
- Practice parameters for the Non-respiratory Indication for Polysomnography and Multiple Sleep Latency Testing in Children
- Practice Parameters for Behavioral Treatment of Bedtime Problems and Night Waking in Infants and Young Children
- Practice Parameters: The Clinical Use of the MSLT & MWT
- Practice Parameters: The Treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement Disorder in Adults
- Practice Parameters for the Treatment of Narcolepsy and Other Hypersomnias of Central Origin
- Clinical Guidelines for the Use of Unattended Portable Monitoring in the
- Diagnosis of OSA in Adults
- Clinical Practice Guideline for Diagnostic Testing for Adult Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Clinical Guidelines for the Evaluation, Management and Long-term Care of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Adults
- Clinical Guidelines for the Manual Titration of Positive Airway Pressure in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- A Daytime Abbreviated Cardio-Respiratory Sleep Study to Acclimate Insomnia Patients with Sleep-Disordered Breathing to Positive Airway Pressure (PAP NAP)
- Numerous sleep technology and medicine text books are available for candidates, such as:
- Fundamentals of Sleep Medicine, First Edition -++ Berry
- Fundamentals of Sleep Technology, Third Edition – T. Lee Chiong, Mattice, Brooks
- Polysomnography for the Sleep Technologist, Instrumentation, Monitoring and Related Procedures – Robertson, Marshall, Carno
- Sleep Disorders Medicine, Basic Science, Technical Considerations and Clinical Aspects, Third Edition – Chokroverty
- Pediatric Sleep Pearls – Marcus, Del Rosso, Berry, Wagner
- A Clinical Guide to Pediatric Sleep: Diagnosis and Management of Sleep Problems, Third Edition – Mindell, Owens
- Sleep Medicine Pearls, Third Edition – Berry, Wagner
- European (ESRS) Sleep Medicine Textbook, Bassetti, Dogas, Peigneux